I was hoping that business would pick up. I stayed in Laredo until Tuesday. That night, I relocated to Dallas. Wednesday afternoon, I got a load. I was to pick up in Dalhart, TX. (454 miles deadhead, but paid for 353 of it.) by 6 am Thursday morning. The load was going to Toledo, OH.
I get there and they weren’t sure if I was supposed to be there. Got it confirmed through the broker, though,. Then the security guard kept saying, “It ain’t going in that van!” Drove up to the ramp, and it was one skid of bags of dry protein, stacked on a pallet, shrink-wrapped. It was only about 3-4 ft high. Perfect fit!
I get on the road, driving well, making good time. I get into Kansas, and the GPS locked up on me! I had received an email from Garmin that there was a required download for fix an error. However, mine won’t download. (It does connect. The upload/update feature isn’t working. A symptom that meant the unit would require repair.)
It had spells from time to time when it would do this, but shutting it down, and turning it back on always restored it. This time, when I turned it on, it wouldn’t proceed past the opening “Garmin” logo. I freaked!!
I stopped in Hutchinson, KS. So I could figure out a plan. I called and had the GPS feature turned on for my cellphone. It worked okay. Just will take some getting used to.
I got back on the road, and almost 2 hrs later, the Garmin came back on. It was still on track for the trip, but it had lost about an hour of time for travel. Since then, it has worked normally. Response from Garmin has a replacement ready to be sent to me as soon as I send them this one.
For the rest of the trip, this was going to be a long trip. Numerous construction areas ate up all extra time I had for any naps. I was 5 minutes late for delivery, but the broker put in that I was on time.
From the time I left Dallas, until I was done, parked at the Flying J in Perrysburg, OH., was 42 hours, with about 2 hours, plus or minus, of rest. I WAS TIRED!!!!!
However, Ohio proved to be MUCH cooler that Texas, and it has been pleasant and cool-until today. It has been humid today.
I talked with the brokers and it seems that freight will probably remain low until September. I am trying to stay positive. My brother told me that is trucking.
God Bless!!
14 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment