Waited at the Flying J over the weekend. Got load #5. Pick up in Washington, NC. And deliver to Windsor, CT. Before I could get this delivery completed the dispatcher called and asked me if I could be at JFK the next morning for a load. I told him sure. Got this load delivered and determined I would go to the Pilot in Milford, CT. (been there before) and then head to JFK early the next morning.
One of the other dispatchers call me and asked if I would be heading towards JFK tonight? He warned me that the area around JFK and Jamaica, NY. was not a very safe area. I told him my plan of staying at the Pilot in Mildford. He didn’t know one was there. He called again once I got to the Pilot. According to the GPS, I was about 90 miles from JFK. He thought that was fine, and I needed to be at the terminal by 11 am EDT. I told him I would leave at 7 am, giving me 4 hours to get there. He thought that would work well.
After a decent night of sleep, I was on the road by 7:15. As I got into New York City, traffic was very slow. I was only about 45 miles from JFK when the phone rang. The load was cancelled. However, the dispatcher got me $100 for it. He knew I would have been close.
I asked him where he wanted me to go? I was well into the city. He told me to head to Newark, NJ. GPS took me through downtown NYC. That was some tough driving! I did okay, I guess-didn’t hit anyone, and no one hit me. That was my second time driving through NYC. SO MANY CARS!!!! SO MANY PEDESTRIANS!!!!
Even though the load got cancelled, I am counting it as load #6 since some pay was received for it. Load #7 picked up in East Brunswick, NJ. This load was a relay. The load was going to Ontario, Canada. I was to pick up this load and meet a driver in/near Buffalo, NY. I got to the pick-up location, and the load wasn’t ready. I had to wait about 45 minutes. There was also some concern with the shipper. She thought I was taking the load to Canada. I assured her that her load would be going to Canada as this was a relay.
Finally got loaded and met up with the other driver in Cheek Cowega, just outside Buffalo. Found Flying J and got some rest.
Load #8 picked up in Lockport, NY and was going to Jenkintown, PA. I tell you this was a enjoyable trip. Most of my driving is done at night-I can’t see much. But this load came early enough that I had several hours of very nice sunlight.
I have the GPS set to avoid toll roads. It took me through some 2 lane roads through some very beautiful rural areas of New York state. I saw many farms of various sizes. It was very enjoyable. I even had the window down. The weather was great for the run.
Got into Jenkintown, PA. and got unloaded. The closest truckstop to me according to the GPS was across the state line in NJ. I spent one night there. When I didn’t get a load by late afternoon, my dispatcher recommended relocating anywhere in PA along I-81. So I went to Harrisburg, PA. Got there late Friday night and didn’t get a load until Tuesday.
Load #9 was picked up in Stuarts Draft, Virginia, 225 miles away. (The dispatcher said he got me some pay for the deadhead.) The load went to Terre Haute, IN. The requested delivery time was 10:45 am EDT. I got it there by 0945 EDT. When I pulled up, there were some guys outside. I told them I had a delivery from FED EX CC. One guy clapped his hand and said “Hell, yeah!” I was delivering some parts for construction equipment. Seems that this machine had been down for some time and these parts would get it going again.
I have relocated to Indianapolis, IN. Being close to a holiday weekend, loads are slowing down. In fact, if I don’t get a load by this afternoon, I am heading home myself.
I hope everyone has a great holiday! Pray for our troops! GOD BLESS THE USA!!!!
14 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment