Well, when I last wrote, I had delivered a load into Laredo and was waiting for a load. I never got one!
I set in Laredo from that Tuesday and relocated to Dallas Thursday night. Very few trucks got to move out of there with freight.
It seems that some key bridges had been closed due to flooding on both sides of the border. The rumor mill had the roadways open again, but the word from the dispatchers was that the movement of freight would be slow. By Friday afternoon, Dallas didn’t happen either. So, I deadheaded to my mother-in-law’s in Memphis for the weekend.
Worked out ok. Went to eat at Marlowe’s and then went to the Joe Kent Show at the Rock & Roll CafĂ©, just across the street from Graceland. If you are an Elvis fan, you really should see his show. He really does a good job.
I was hoping that I would get a load come Monday. Memphis is usually a good place to get out of. BUT, not this week! No load Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday, I got a call for a load. I was quite prepared to go, and it was taking me a while to get gone to pick up. However, by the time I got my first bad to the truck, I got a call that the load cancelled. However, I got paid for non-use of the truck.
Later, Wednesday evening, I got another call for a load that wouldn’t pick up until 9 am Thursday. Load was going to Meriedian, MS. I got to the pickup site, and was told that the plane bringing the freight had been delayed about 30 minutes, but they had just started sorting out the freight, and when they found mine, they would bring it to me. So, I just went back to wait in the truck.
45 minutes later, the gentleman brings out a box and says her ya’ go. I look at the box, it was going to Hattisburg, MS. I said this ain’t right. He said it was the only thing they had going to Mississippi. I called my broker, who had me call the contractor, who called the customer who had the tracking number for the freight. When checked online, the system indicated that the freight wasn’t even there yet, and would arrive until later that evening or next morning. Cancelled load, non-use payment. I returned to my mother-in-law.
After so much downtime and 2 cancelled loads, I had become somewhat depressed. I tried to rest some, but just couldn’t. Wouldn’t you know it? After getting at 6:30 am to get ready for the 2nd load that cancelled and remaining awake all day, at about 9:30 pm or so, I got a load from the #2 broker. 200 deadhead to Richland, MS., (which I got $50 for) to pick up ASAP. Then go to Mauldlin, SC. (Then was later changed to Greer, SC. This was a long drive, but I made it okay. Slept real hard Friday night.
Well, there is a Flying J in Blacksburg, SC., so that is where I have been all weekend. Both brokers have said I am in a very good area. Hope to have a load right off the bat.
Only thing bad has been the heat. I don’t know how hot it has been, I just know it is very hot. Problem is the AC is out in the Flying J. They have some big “special” AC unit inside. Seems to work well in the immediate area of the machine. But the lounge area is hot.
One a better note, though, I finally got to attend a trucker’s church service. I had wanted to attend some I have seen, but just didn’t go. This time I went. I was the only person to show up, other than the 2 guys that were teaching the class. I got a lot out of being there. I got a new bible out of it. NASV.
Well, praying for many loads this next week, as I need them badly. Until next time, may God bless you and yours!
14 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment