Friday, July 16, 2010

Mega-update!!!!!!!!!!!

It has been a month since I updated this blog. The rest of June was very busy. Try to keep up, here we go!

I laid over at Holland over that weekend. The load to Holland, MI was load # 14. I ended the trip with 26 loads. Subsequent loads included loads to Huntingon, IN., Lawrenceville, IL. And Woodhaven, MI. (#15,16, 17) The load to Woodhaven was to the Ford plant there. When I checked in at the gate, the guard was relieved to see I was driving a Ford product. (She said that unloading would be delayed if I were driving any other brand of vehicle. I still ended up waiting almost 2 hours- The receiving supervisor that checked me in “forgot” about me until I came back in to get an update.)

Loads 18 & 19 took me to Des Moines, IA. and Grand Island, NE. This was my first time in Nebraska. Very beautiful state. I had a good time driving through that state. One highway I was on for a long time was almost completely straight. I drove over an hour without having to turn the steering wheel.
There was a train track that ran parallel with the road. I met 8 trains heading the other way. I started honking my horn at them. (Actually got a honk back from one!)

Next was Denton, TX, then Beeville, TX, then El Paso, TX. From El Paso, I went to Canton, MS. I got to drive the entire width of Texas. I think it was nearly 800 miles. (I will never fuss about driving the length of Tennessee again. )
After Canton, I deadheaded to Memphis for the weekend. Load #24 took me to Saline, MI. I got a super load next. Deadheaded to Saginaw, MI for a load that tested this Ford van and me!
I picked up two skids of engine heads. Total weight was 3880 lbs. I had to move most of my gear into the front. (Thank goodness that passenger seat had been removed!!!) The van did have a small squat to it, but not bad.
The load went to Laredo, TX. 1686 miles. Took 27:33 hours of driving. (Yes, I took breaks. I went through Memphis and was able to sleep a bit at my mother-in-law’s.) I held that van to 65 mph, and it achieved 17+ mpg throughout the trip. That was a fun load! The van (nicknamed “Big Dawg One!!) handled it with ease.

This had me in Laredo just prior to the July 4th weekend. I had been warned by both brokers that freight would be light, if not stopped, during the week after. Still I was holding out to get me a load close to home.

Load 26 came in as a pick up in Los Indios, TX, going to Humble, TX. (just a tad closer.) I was 75 miles heading to the pickup, and the load was cancelled. I got a little pay out of it though.

Broker suggested heading on home from there, so I did. I ended up making a giant “J” in Texas-Laredo to Zapata, TX. Then to Murray. That deadhead home was 1086 miles, plus the 75 I drove from Laredo.

I was home until the 12th. I went to an appointment with Debbie and then went available. On the 12th, load #27 was picked up in Jackson, TN. And delivered to Laredo, TX. I had been warned that there were lots of trucks setting in Laredo. I took the load anyway.

When I got unloaded in Laredo, I went to the Flying J. I counted 32 expedite trucks, vans and straights. I could see that the TA across the way had almost as many, then there is the Pilot across the interstate. Looked like a dealership with expedite trucks!!

That was Tuesday evening. Bridges on both side of the border were closed following a devastating flood a few days earlier. This had stopped the flow of freight out of Laredo. One broker told me that he could see 100 loads going into Laredo and maybe 10 coming out.

I had heard that the bridges were open again by Wednesday night, but that freight would still be slow getting moved. With so much competition in Laredo, I came to Dallas this morning. I am one of 11 trucks at this Flying J.

Still waiting for another load. May be a long wait, according to the brokers.

Until next time. And, remember, IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT!

God Bless!!

No comments: